Day 4 - Take a relaxing bath
Not all meditations require rigour, focus and concentration. You can get the benefits of meditation while you relax your body totally, too. One soothing method is to meditate in the bath, combining the benefits of meditation with the therapeutic effects of soothing, fragrant, hot water. Relax your tired muscles and let yourself escape from stress.
- Make time: Set aside at least 15 minutes where you won’t be interrupted. That means finishing off urgent jobs, putting the phone straight to voicemail, telling others in your household not to disturb you unless it’s an emergency, even locking the door if you think people won’t take your need for privacy seriously.
- Use a Weleda bath milk: as you run the bath, you could benefit from natural aromatherapy by adding a few capfuls of a natural organic milk bath. Choose relaxing Lavender or Citrus if you want to feel more alert. The scent should be one you really like, as studies show that the more you like it, the greater will be the stress relief benefits.
- Get in and relax: Take the time to feel your breathing become slower and deeper, allowing your belly to rise and fall – this type of breathing is more natural, and can help turn off your stress response.
- Focus on feeling: What sensations do you feel in your body? Notice the warmth of the water, the press of the bath against your back, your hands gently floating in water. Let go of all other thoughts. Try to keep your mind quiet and your attention focused on only the present moment.
- Stay in the present: If you find your thoughts wandering, chattering or tugging you towards worries, gently redirect your attention to the present moment. Continue for as long as you feel comfortable, and let yourself be soothed and relaxed before you get out and dry yourself.
- If you’re new to mindfulness, you may want to try this for 5 or 10 minutes at first, and work your way up to 15 minutes
- Add some gentle music - its also great for stress relief
- Don't try this if you're too tired - you don't want to fall asleep in the bath!
Great products to use
Natural organic arnica gives tired bodies support in the bath or shower – for sportspeople, gardeners and outdoor enthusiasts