First aid for sunburn
Top tips for healthy skin
- If you do get sunburn, get out of the sun immediately and go indoors. Once you’re protected from the sun’s rays, the body can start to repair its skin.
- Cool large areas of the skin with damp towels or a wet t-shirt.
- Drink plenty of fluids; water or green tea are particularly beneficial.
- A yoghurt compress is a good household remedy, and cools for up to 4 hours. Do not apply the yoghurt directly to the skin, since it can stick to the skin as it warms. Place a clean cloth on a kitchen towel, spread a layer of yoghurt on it, top with another clean cloth and then cover that with a hand towel. Then place the compress on the affected area.
* Note: In case of open wounds or large areas of severely sunburnt skin, seek immediate medical treatment