Recycle that Halloween PumpkinDon't let your Halloween pumpkin end up as food waste! Try this tasty soup recipe that I made the Weleda staff at our recent Michaelmas Celebration.
Butternut Pumpkin, Rosemary and Ginger SoupIngredients
- 2 kg butternut pumpkin (peeled, seeded and cut into chunks)
- 1 medium brown onion (roughly chopped)1 inch
- gingerroot (a little smaller than a wine cork, peeled and sliced finely)
- 6 sprigs fresh rosemary
- 1/2 cup fresh cream
- chicken stock or vegetable stock 1 litre
- white wine
- extra virgin olive oil
- flaked sea salt
- black pepper
DirectionsTake some cooking twine and tie the rosemary sprigs firmly into one bundle, leaving a long piece of string attached to the sprigs (about 1 foot in length).
In a medium sauce pan over medium-high heat, soften the pumpkin onion and ginger in a little butter and oil.
Add a splash of white wine and turn the heat up to high and reduce the wine until almost all the liquid is gone.
Pour in the stock, the rosemary (tying the excess string to the handle of the pot) bring to the boil and reduce to simmer, for approx 1/2 - 3/4 hour.
Add the cream and simmer a further 15 minutes.
Remove the rosemary sprigs; blend the soup with a handheld stick blender or in a food processor until smooth.
Pour the soup through a fine sieve back into the saucepan, (you will need to stir it in the sieve to help it through).
* Return the soup to a low heat and season to taste.
* Garnish with a little drizzle of fresh cream and serve with some garlic rubbed crusty bread on the side.
Courtesy of www.food.com